The Controls Engineering Specialist shall be capable of working directly with electrical control systems & hardware integration. They must be well versed in using PLC programming products, such as those made by Siemens, Allen-Bradley & Automation Direct which integrate with multiple input and output sources to create automated control systems. This position requires hands-on development and interaction with team members to develop automation requirements and transform them into effective production solutions; this is done with the use of software engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria using judgment in making minor hardware & software adaptations and modifications.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Must always conduct yourself in a safe manner.
- Must comply with all company (and customer) safety and personnel policies and adhere to OSHA safety standards. Support and participate in activities that enhance the current safetyculture at the site.
- Ability to travel 90% of time, would require extended stays at various locations.
- Must be able to work weekends and overtime when needed.
- Complete work according to written and or verbal instructions, including direction as set forth.
- Perform and or support, but not limited to.
o Design systems that can automate processes.
o Tear down existing equipment and relocate and install.
o Lead design reviews in house and or with the customer.
o Define/design PLC ladder logic that supports the necessary controls interface, including all equipment safety parameters,
o Develop project bill of materials,
o Perform investigations and experiments to prove out new technology,
o Installation of secondary equipment including but not limited to wiring, sensors, drives, and controllers,
o Upgrades and repairs to existing controls/equipment.
o Develop project timelines.
- Troubleshoot control issues, including but not limited PLC ladder logic, inputs, and outputs.
- Perform equipment start up and verification, both on site and at the customer site.
- Maintain controls spare parts inventory and the requisition of replacement parts.
- Document and record design, inspection and or repair information / data.
- Perform other duties assigned from time to time by management team.
Skills & Requirements:
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written skills.
- Significant electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques, and codes.
- Minimum Five (5) years’ experience with PLC Programming.
– Rockwell/Allen-Bradley PLC (ControlLogix and CompactLogix) and HMI experience is a plus.
- Experience in the application of mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic techniques and principles.
- Thorough working knowledge of industrial controls devices including photo-electric sensors, proximity switches, solenoid valves, frequency and servo drives, and PLC I/O.
• Advanced knowledge in reading schematic drawings, machine prints, ladder logic.
• Skilled in working within a Team Environment among a diverse group of individuals in varying occupations and varying skill levels
Required Experience and/or Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Programming, or related field is preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience with high speed machines or other automated equipment
- Expert knowledge of ladder logic architecture focusing on Allen-Bradley and/or Siemens software platforms
- Demonstrated experience in PLC programming, commissioning of new equipment with motion
- Control, as well as remote and field support
- Knowledge of AC Drives / VFD / HMI / Servo / PID and Motion Control is strongly preferred
• AutoCAD skills
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; stoop, kneel, crouch
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to tolerate conditions associated with no air conditioning or heat
Note: The duties and responsibilities listed above area intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not constructed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, and requirements. The incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
*Interested applicants, please send resume’ to