Job Title: Technical Engineering Specification Writer
Reports to: Director of Capital Engineering
Location: Lancaster, PA (preferred)
Created: July 1, 2021
Summary of Position
Technical Engineering Specification Writer will write and maintain capital equipment specifications used in the request for quote (RFQ) process. Typically, this work involves reading, understanding, and developing the machine operating conditions for new capital equipment machines that when assembled will consist of a complete production line. Requires attention to detail, ability to translate engineering specifications and requirements into a presentable format leading to an accurate quote estimate from outside vendors. Responsible for writing clear, easy-to-understand specifications.
Key Job Responsibilities
Technical Writers need familiarity with topic-based writing and structured content in line with the company’s goals.
Here are some general skills and qualifications a Technical Writer needs:
- Understanding of Manufacturing Engineering principles and guidelines.
- Knowledgeable of terms and concepts used in descriptions of manufacturing plant operations; air pressure, chiller water, process water, electrical power, etc.
- Basic ability to interpret, read and understand CAD drawing representations of plant layout, equipment.
- Fluency and understanding of technical terms.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to pay attention to details.
- Written and oral communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to take on new challenges and build on current skills.
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- Ability to multi-task and be a self-starter.
- Ability to check all technical material for consistency, accuracy, and ease of use by end user.
Technical Writer education and training requirements
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in English, communication, business administration or technical writing.
Proficient MS Office; Word, Excel, Power Point.
Ability to use collaborative software; MS Teams, WEBEX, Skype, etc.
Familiarity with business software; ERP, Product Workflow and MS Sharepont, etc.
Preferred ability to use AutoCad to review layout drawings, schematics, etc.
Requires 4+ years of experience as a Writer, specifically creating content for technical users that allows the user to generate an accurate quote regarding cost, lead time and support of capital equipment.
Requirement of submittal, please submit two examples of past work as part of the application. The submittal should not be confidential or restricted in any form.
Join our growth-oriented D-Riven team! To apply for this role, please send your resumé, examples of past work, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
Note: The duties and responsibilities listed above area intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this position. It is not constructed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, and requirements. The incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned. Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.